Living in France

Business for sale in Brittany, France

Fancy relocating to France and running your own business?

This property, a home with a business for sale, is the place for you!

Manor house for sale in Brittany France

Manor house for sale in Brittany France

Business for sale in Brittany

This renovated historic Manor House is located within 10km of the coast, halfway between Saint-Malo and Le Mont St Michel. This property was constructed between the 13th and 16th Centuries.

This manor house is full of character and charm. It is currently a Bed & Breakfast, a gite business, and a reception hall.

The main house has impressive open stone fireplaces, original stone staircase, as well as beamed ceilings…

8 ensuite-bedrooms, 2 other bedrooms, and a spacious 2 bedroom gite.

One of the outbuildings has been converted into a reception hall to host wedding receptions or family reunions. You could easily convert it into a gite to accommodate groups instead.

Manor house for sale in Brittany France Manor house for sale in Brittany France

There are various outbuildings for further development.

The property grounds extend to almost 6 hectares. It includes an orchard currently used to produce the Manor’s own cider. There are plenty fruit trees, a courtyard and a meadow. There is also plenty of space to have your own kitchen garden, to keep animals…..

This is the perfect property for someone wanting to run their own business in a beautiful area in France.

B & B, hotel, family home, function centre, equestrian property, or a combination of uses, this is a very special, rare find situated in an excellent location for all year-round tourism!


This French property is generating a turn-over of around €90.000 – €100.000.

Price of the property €780.000 + notaire’s fees.

By setting up your own business in France, you will get into the French health system and obtain your Carte Vitale.

For more information about this French property or about setting up your own business, please contact me here.

Ban on plastic bags in France

What you need to know before going shopping in France

Since the 1st January 2017, France has banned single-use plastic bags. This ban applies to all shops, supermarkets, bakeries, butchers, chemists, as well as markets.

If you shop in France, you will get recyclable and reusable biodegradable bags instead.

Some market traders are charging for bags. Therefore, if you shop at a local market in France, bring a basket!



How to pay your taxe d’habitation online

If you own a property in France, you will be liable for Taxe d’Habitation.

If you can’t visit your local tax office in person, you can pay your taxe d’habitation online. It’s rather straight-forward.

taxe d habitation online

Please follow this link here

Click on « Payer en ligne »

Numéro fiscal : enter your fiscal number which you will find on your income tax form or any other taxes (habitation or foncière)

Click on “Payer en ligne

Enter the reference number of the tax you are paying.

(référence de l’avis)

Finally you will have to enter your French bank details and your email address.

Once the tax is paid you will receive an email confirming your payment. Keep it for your records.

Please note you won’t be able to pay your tax d’habitation or foncière (rates) online once you have missed the deadline.

Please send me an email here if you require assistance with paying your taxe d’habitation or taxe foncière online or any other way.

Employing an artisan in France

I wish to employ an artisan to do some work in my cottage in France. How do I ensure he is registered to work in France?

You can ask the artisan to supply you with:

  • an extract from the Register of Commerce (extrait d’inscription au registre du commerce et des sociétés),
  • a certificate of registration in the Register of Craft Trades (carte justifiant l’inscription au Répertoire des Métiers),
  • a company document (estimate, publicity) stating the company name, address and registration number.

How to Register With The French Health System

Registering with the French Health System (CPAM)

I always advise my British clients to contact the NHS (overseas department) before relocating to France in order to apply for the necessary documents to get into the French Health System. You need to apply for a S1. This document can take a while to come through so it is best to apply for them just before moving to France. Read More